Content

THIN MINTS ANYONE?

Even Rocker Steven Tyler and his daughter Liv enjoy Girl Scout Cookies!!   

     Nearly forty years ago, I sold my first box of Girl Scout Cookies, walking up and down my neighborhood streets, going door to door. I was lucky, the economy was good, and most every house represented a sale, including my parents. The experience taught me how to handle money, answer product questions, and understand the need to be accurate in my order taking and deliveries. I also learned that the more effort I put forth, the better results; more sales, and the greater rewards; out-of-state adventures and camping trips. Those skills have served me throughout my life's work.



     Today, as I placed my order on-line for the first time, (each year I normally find a troop with a sales table set up in my local grocer), I sat and thought about all the memories, friends, opportunities, and skills that I gained being a Scout. All the times my Mom volunteered for road trips, and overnight campouts during all kinds of weather, for my sister and I, and our troop. The many things my leaders taught us, such as sewing and recognizing poison ivy, how to cook over open fires and be able to administer first aid in an emergency, to stay fit through hiking and swimming, and to be a good citizen and have pride in my Country.


Now I know why I buy these cookies every year. So that somewhere, another troop of girls will blossom into the intelligent, well-rounded, young women tomorrow needs.


http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com My Zimbio